1) Design and content of Website/Blog: Design of blog is all about the first impression. If you have a great header and footer design of your blog the visitor will sure spend some time on your website/blog and he will refer your website/blog to his friends too. There are also some mistakes that you should be careful about like irrelevant content, no motive, inconsistent posting, bad blog design etc. Don’t be impatient and check the stats too often, no one gets thousands of visitors on the first blogging day.
3) Proper SEO (On and Off page optimization): The above two points are includes under the on page search engine optimization on page optimization also includes html tags like Meta keywords, title, description, ‘h’ tags, robot.txt file and most of all the content of page. You should avoid Using "hidden" or invisible text on your page, Cloaking or Sneaky Redirects duplicate content. These negative techniques will kill the chances of your website/blog.
Now off page optimization is all about link building, you can comment on different blogs, do directory submissions, forum posting, share your post on different article submission sites, social bookmarking and anything that can build inbound links for your website/blog.
4) Email Subscription Form: When the visitor land on your website for the first time from search engine you could capture him as an email subscriber. After this even if he doesn’t visit your blog, you could still send him the short brief snippets of new articles to increase his curiosity to come by your blog again to read the remaining post. In this way you can build up your own readers list and no longer be dependent on search engines. Give your readers something like free eBook, video, podcasts etc and in return get their email ids. Then you can hire services of any email service provider to send emails to your subscribed readers.
5) Build a Community: You have to participate more actively in your community to grow it. If you have to encourage your commentator you have to response quickly. If you do so it would make them comment each time you write something new. And thus increase the traffic.
6) Presence on Social Media: Driving traffic through social media is a vital traffic building strategy. The blogger always try to generate traffic from search engines, but in present scenario search engines are getting smarter, they have started to integrate social sharing in the search engine rankings.
The word social also indicates Facebook because it is the biggest social networking site on the internet. You have to grow tour network on social networking sites to drive the traffic from social media to your blog. Other than Facebook, Twitter, Stumble Upon, digg, reddit and technorati are also good sites with a lot of traffic. Also there are video sharing sites Like YouTube and Metacafe are worldwide used sites. You should also add social media share buttons on your website/blog.
7) And finally the Paid Services: There are many paid services to endorse your blog/website but the most used of them are Facebook ads, Google ad words, and Linkedin ads. You can put text ads or banner ads on these services to endorse your blog/website. You can also endorse your website/blog through email marketing service.